Curriculum Vitae (download)
Department of Molecular Microbiology and Immunology
Johns Hopkins School of Public Health, Rm. E3410
615 N. Wolfe St.
Baltimore, MD 21205
Education and Training:
2012 Ph.D. in Genetics, Cornell University, Ithaca NY
Advisor: Brian P. Lazzaro
2005 B.S. in Biology, Xavier University, Cincinnati OH
2012-Present Post-Doctoral Research Fellow, Department of Molecular Microbiology and Immunology. Johns Hopkins
Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore MD.
2005 – 2006 Research Assistant, Department of Pathology, Cleveland Clinic Association
1. J. L. Ramirez*, S. M. Short*, A. Bahia, R. Saraiva, Y. Dong, S. Kang, A Tripathi, G. Mlambo and G. Dimopoulos. 2014. Chromobacterium Csp_P reduces malaria and dengue infection in vector mosquitoes and has entomopathogenic and in vitro anti-pathogen activities. PLoS Pathogens 10(10): e1004398.
2. S.M. Short and B.P. Lazzaro. 2013. Reproductive status alters transcriptomic response to infection in female Drosophila melanogaster. Genes|Genomes|Genetics 3:827-840.
3. M. L. del Campo, R. Halitschke, S.M. Short, B.P. Lazzaro and A. Kessler. 2013. Dietary plant phenolic mediates tolerance to bacterial infection in Manduca sexta caterpillars. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata, 146:321-331.
4. S.M. Short, M.F. Wolfner and B.P. Lazzaro. 2012. Female Drosophila melanogaster suffer reduced defense against infection due to seminal fluid components. J. Insect Physiol., 58:1192-1201.
5. S.M. Short and B.P. Lazzaro. 2010. Female and male genetic contributions to post-mating immune defence in female Drosophila melanogaster. Proceedings of the Royal Society B, 277:3649-3657.
6. S.M. Short, B.J. Yoder, S.M. Tarr, N.L. Prescott, S. Laniauskas, K. Coleman, E. Downs-Kelly, J. Pettay, T.K. Choueiri, J.P. Crowe, R.R. Tubbs, G.T. Budd, D.G. Hicks. 2007. The expression of the cytoskeletal focal adhesion protein paxillin in breast cancer correlates with HER2 over-expression and may help predict response to cytotoxic chemotherapy. The Breast Journal, 13(2):130-139.
7. D.G. Hicks, B.J. Yoder, S.M. Short, S.M. Tarr, N. Prescott, J. P. Crowe, A. E. Dawson, G. T. Budd, S. Sizemore, M. Cicek, T. K. Choueiri, R. R. Tubbs, D. Gaile, N. Nowak, M. A. Accavitti-Loper, A. R. Frost, D. R. Welch, and G. Casey. 2006. Loss of Breast Cancer Metastasis Suppressor 1 Protein Expression Predicts Reduced Disease-Free Survival in Subsets of Breast Cancer Patients. Clin Cancer Res, 12: 6702-6708.
8. D.G. Hicks, S.M. Short, N.L. Prescott, S.M. Tarr, K.A. Coleman, B.J. Yoder, J.P. Crowe, T.K. Choueiri, A.E. Dawson, J. Pettay, G.T. Budd, R.R. Tubbs, G. Casey, R.J. Weil. 2006. Breast cancers with brain metastases are more likely to be estrogen receptor negative, express the basal cytokeratin CK5/6 and overexpress HER2 or EGFR. Am J Surg Pathol, 30:1097-1104.
B. Blumberg, S.M. Short, G. Dimopoulos. Employing the mosquito microbiome for disease control. Genetic Control of Malaria and Dengue, ed. Z.N. Adelman, 2015.
2014-2017 Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award
2008-2011 Ford Foundation Pre-doctoral Diversity Fellowship
2009, 2011, 2012 Cornell University Graduate School Conference Grant
2006-2007 Cornell University Presidential Life Sciences Fellowship
2006 Indiana Metabolomics and Cytomics (METACyt) Initiative Award (declined)
2001-2005 St. Francis Xavier Scholarship, Xavier University
2016 Johns Hopkins School of Public Health Student Assembly Postdoctoral Recognition Award
2015 Young Investigator Award, American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene
2009 Royal Entomological Society National Science Meeting, First place poster presentation
2007 Rita and Joe Calvo Teaching Award
Co-instructor 2015 Vector Biology and Vector-Borne Diseases, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
2014 Medical Entomology, University of Puerto Rico, Medical Sciences Campus
Contributor 2016 Vector Biology and Vector-Borne Diseases, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health (Topic: Arthropod-borne viruses)
2014 The Summer Institute in Tropical Medicine and Public Health, Johns Hopkins (Topics: Introduction to
insects vectors, basic theory of vector biology, vector ecology and control)
2013 Molecular Entomology, Johns Hopkins (Topic: Microbiota of insect vectors)
2011 Guest lecturer for Sex, Genes and Evolution, Cornell University (Topic: Sexual selection and immunity)
Teaching Assistant 2008 Genetics, Cornell University
2007 Human Genetics and Society, Cornell University
2016 University of Georgia, Department of Entomology, Athens, GA
Emory University, Population Biology, Ecology and Evolution Graduate Program, Atlanta, GA
2015 National Evolutionary Synthesis Center Catalysis meeting: Ecological Immunology Applied to Vector Biology and Vector-Borne Diseases, Durham, NC
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Malaria Interest Group, Baltimore, MD
2013 NIAID-sponsored workshop: Effect of Vector innate Immunity and Human-Derived Immune Molecules on the Transmission of Vector-Borne Pathogens, Washington DC
2012 Yale School of Public Health, Department of Epidemiology of Microbial Diseases, New Haven, CT
2015 Oral presentation: American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, Philadelphia PA
Oral presentation: Keystone Symposia Conference, The Arthropod Vector: The Controller of Transmission, Taos, NM
Poster presentation: The Future of Malaria Research: A Young Scientists’ Meeting, Rockville, MD
2014 Poster presentation: Keystone Symposia Conference, Mechanisms and Consequences of Invertebrate-Microbe Interactions, Tahoe City, CA
Poster presentation: Baltimore-Washington Johns Hopkins Malaria Research Institute Symposium: Microbe-based malaria control, Rockville, MD
2013 Poster presentation: American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, Washington D.C.
2012 Poster presentation: Drosophila Research Conference, Chicago, IL
2011 Oral presentation: Drosophila Research Conference, San Diego, CA
2010 Poster presentation: Ecology and Evolution of Infectious Disease meeting, Ithaca, NY
Oral presentation: Ecology and Evolutionary Biology Graduate Student Symposium, Ithaca, NY
Poster presentation: Drosophila Research Conference, Washington D.C.
Poster presentation: Royal Entomological Society National Science Meeting, Sheffield, United Kingdom
2009 Oral presentation: Conference of Ford Fellows, Irvine, CA
2008 Poster presentation: 49th annual Drosophila Research Conference, San Diego, CA
2015-present Organizer, Johns Hopkins School of Public Health Postdoctoral Committee.
2015-present Organizer, Molecular Microbiology and Immunology Postdoctoral Fellow’s Group.
2015 Organizer, Postdoctoral Summer Forum, Johns Hopkins Department of Molecular Microbiology and Immunology.
2013-2016 Johns Hopkins Post Doctoral Association Policy and Advocacy Committee.
2012-2015 Ad hoc peer reviewer: Genetics (2016), Journal of Medical Entomology (2016), PLoS One (6x 2012-2015), Evolutionary Ecology Research (2010), FEBS Letters (2010).
Educational Outreach and Broader Impacts:
2016 Participant, Project Bridge, Baltimore MD
Presented science demonstrations to the general public at local Farmer's Markets.
2014 Organizer, Speak out for Science!, Washington D.C.
Met with congressional representatives to appeal for increased government funding for research.
2009-2012 Conference co-chair for Expanding Your Horizons, Cornell University.
Expanding Your Horizons is a one-day conference aimed at encouraging 7th-9th grade girls to pursue interests in science, math and engineering-related areas of study.
2007-2009: Diversity Chair
2011 Organizer and tutor for the College Enhancement Program, MacCormick Secure Center, Brooktondale NY.
I helped develop an educational program for juvenile offenders focused on science and logical reasoning in everyday life.
2007-2011 Participant and exhibit organizer for Insectapalooza, Cornell University.
Insectapalooza is an insect-themed event where members of the community can learn about diverse areas of entomology.
2015 Prokaryotic Comparative Genomics Workshop, Institute for Genome Sciences University of Maryland School of Medicine
2014 Research Leadership Course, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions
2014 Service Learning: Implementing Service-Learning in the Stem Disciplines conducted by the Center for the Integration
of Research, Teaching and Learning.
2013-14 Johns Hopkins Preparing Future Faculty Teaching Academy Fellow.
2014 Institute for Excellence in Education Summer Teaching Camp, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.
2013 Eyes on Teaching Workshop conducted by the Johns Hopkins Center for Educational Resources.
Professional society memberships:
2013-present The American Society for Tropical Medicine and Hygiene.
2008, 2010-12 Genetics Society of America